The music and culture from the decade of the 1970s will return to downtown Las Vegas this summer as Fremont Street Experience presents the “Summer of the ’70s” festival and free concert series. The 102-day promotion will kick off Memorial Day Weekend and run through Labor Day Weekend.
“This year, as a follow-up to last year’s successful `Summer of ’69’ which drew record nightly crowds to downtown Las Vegas, we decided to move to the next decade and focus on the 1970s,” said Jeff Victor, president of Fremont Street Experience. “Throughout this summer, we will present headliners and tribute bands who will bring back the diverse music of the ’70s, everything from classic rock to disco.”
To open the “Summer of the ’70s,” Fremont Street Experience hosts disco diva Gloria Gaynor for Memorial Day Weekend on May 29 followed on June 5 by glam rockers Sweet during the Vegas Cruise car show weekend. The Little River Band will be featured on July 3, during the Fourth of July Weekend, Blue Oyster Cult will play August 14 and Jefferson Starship will rock Sept. 4 during Labor Day Weekend. Jefferson Starship’s return performance from last summer is part of the band’s 40th anniversary tour.
“Fremont Street Experience is offering the ultimate band camp for grownups,” said Victor. “This ties in directly with the LVCVA (Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority) summer marketing campaign of Camp Vegas. We believe downtown Las Vegas will provide the best value in town with free concerts and stage shows every night throughout the summer.”
Also, during the “Summer of the ’70s,” an Ultimate Elvis Weekend will feature the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest on July 23 and July 24. Sanctioned by Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. (EPE) and managed by On Stage Touring, producers of “Legends in Concert,” the Ultimate Elvis Tribute competitors will be judged on the “best representation of the Elvis legacy” in talent, appearance, performance, stage presence, and overall tribute.
The winner of the contest qualifies to compete in the 2010 Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest presented by Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. (EPE) in Memphis during Elvis Week, Aug. 10-16. In addition, the winner of Las Vegas’ Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist preliminary contest will take home a $2,500 cash prize and a Graceland getaway prize package.
Along with the free concerts, “Summer of the ’70s” will present a free stage show – “Fremont Street Fever” – performing Thursday through Monday at 9:15 p.m., 10:15 p.m. and 11:15 p.m. on the 1st Street Stage. “Fremont Street Fever,” produced by Face Productions is a 35-minute show full of high energy singing and dancing to the most popular disco songs of the ’70s.
Fremont Street Experience will also host 10 weeks of tribute bands that will showcase legendary groups like The Rolling Stones, STYX, Eagles, KISS, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, Heart, AC/DC, and a 70’s Classic Rock Tribute by Platinum Rockers, recreating the hits of Foreigner, Boston, Led Zeppelin, and Van Halen. The tribute bands will play Tuesdays through Saturdays nightly on the 3rd Street Stage.
Fremont Street Experience presents the “Summer of the ’70s” Entertainment Lineup:
Headliner Schedule: (1st or 3rd Street Stages) Concerts start at 9 p.m.
• Gloria Gaynor – May 29 for Memorial Day Weekend (3rd Street Stage)
I will Survive, Never Can Say Goodbye, I Never Knew
• Sweet – June 5 during the Vegas Cruise car show weekend (1st Street Stage)
Ballroom Blitz, Fox on the Run, Love is Like Oxygen, Little Willy
• Little River Band – July 3 for Fourth of July Weekend (3rd Street Stage)
Lady, Lonesome Loser, Reminiscing, Cool Change
• Ultimate Elvis Weekend – July 23-24 featuring the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest (1st Street Stage), times TBA
• Blue Oyster Cult – August 14 for Hot Rockin’ Weekend (3rd Street Stage)
(Don’t Fear) the Reaper, Burnin’ For You, Godzilla
• Jefferson Starship – September 4 for Labor Day Weekend (1st Street Stage)
White Rabbit, Don’t You Want Somebody to Love, Miracles, Jane, Count on Me, Ride the Tiger
Tribute Band Schedule: (3rd Street Stage) Shows are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 9 p.m. to midnight. There will be a total of three sets, each starting after the top-of-the-hour Viva Vision shows.
• Original KISS Army – KISS tribute – June 8-12
• Draw The Line – Aerosmith tribute – June 15-19
• Desperado – Eagles tribute – June 22-26
• Highway to Hell – AC/DC tribute – June 29-30, July 1-2 and July 4 (Please note; Highway to Hell is playing Sunday, July 4 and not Saturday July 3.)
• Platinum Rockstars – Classic Rock Tribute band emulating Foreigner, Boston, Van Halen and Led Zeppelin – July 6-10
• Rockin’ the Paradise – Styx tribute – July 13-17
• Heart Alive – Heart tribute – July 27-31
• Wild Heart – Fleetwood Mac tribute – August 3-7
• Escape – Journey tribute – August 17-21
• Satisfaction – The Rolling Stones tribute – August 24-28
“Fremont Street Fever” Schedule: (1st Street Stage)
• Thursdays through Mondays at 9:15 p.m., 10:15 p.m. and 11:15 p.m.
Produced by Face Productions, this original production will be a 35-minute show full of high energy singing and dancing to the most popular disco songs of the ’70s.
Viva Vision Schedule:
From 8:30 p.m. through midnight on weekdays and 8:30 p.m. through 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
• 8:30 p.m. – “Don McLean’s American Pie”
• 9:00 p.m. – “The Doors – Strange Days in Vegas”
• 10:00 p.m. – “A Tribute to Queen”
• 11:00 p.m. – “KISS Over Vegas”
• Midnight – “Signs of Life by John Van Hamersveld” (Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays) or “George Thorogood’s Bad To The Bone” (Mondays, Wednesdays)
• 1 a.m. (Fridays & Saturdays only) – “George Thorogood’s Bad To The Bone”
“Summer of the ’70s” is sponsored by Corona Extra, Corona Light, Cruzan Rum, Modelo especial, Sauza Tequila Hornitos and Stoli Vodka. There will be beer and liquor drink specials available at all outdoor bars on Fremont Street Experience every night throughout the summer.